Carlo Grante is a pianist who has acquired an enviable reputation among his colleagues and connoisseurs in the music world. This is thanks to his voluminous and outstanding discography of over 50 recordings, and to his well-reviewed concerts, in recital and under top conductors in important halls.
His recent recordings celebrate Liszt, Chopin, Scarlatti, Schumann, Debussy, Ravel, Busoni and Godowsky, as well as contemporary composers.
His concerts feature a repertoire among the most extensive and formidable of contemporary pianists’, ranging from Scarlatti to Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, Schumann, Brahms, Debussy and Ravel, Mussorgsky, Busoni and Godowsky, to Vlad and Schmidt, including pieces written for him, such as Bruce Adolphe’s Chopin Dreams, premiered in at New York’s Alice Tully Hall in September 2015.
Reviews of his performances have spoken of Grante’s ‘thoughtful virtuosity and stylistic insights’, his ‘acute sense of textural diversity’, his ‘highly detailed fingerwork’, ‘masterful contrapuntal interplay between the hands’, his ‘utmost musical integrity and clarity’, of the ‘warmth and sensuousness of his multicoloured portfolio of legato shadings through fingers alone’, ‘exquisite phrase-moulding, dazzling fingerwork and … precision-engineered pedalling’. ‘He showed that a full fortissimo can still be rich in sonority: never harsh… His soft playing would woo the most bellicose of souls: again, ample in overtones, but pure bliss to the ear. These qualities are backed by a sterling technique.’
About Carlo Grante
- Chopin’s preludes, Janacek’s Sonata, Novak’s Capricinia, Rudolfinum, Prague, 26 April 2014
- Carlo Grante plays Bach, Ehrbar Hall, Vienna, 2014
- Fryderyk Chopin, 4 Ballades & 4 Scherzos, Auditorium del Parco, Aquila, 2013
- Scarlatti at the Boesendorfer Hall, Vienna, 2011
- Debussy’s Anniversary 1862 – 2012
- Recital at Sala Greppi, Bergamo, 18 October 2012
- … and more at Carlo Grante’s YouTube Channel